The Botkins Board of Education met in regular session on February 11, 2009.
The Board took the following actions:
* Approved the minutes of the January 19, 2009, reorganizational meeting and the regular January Board meeting.
* Reviewed and approved payroll expenses, receipts, and GF balances.
* Amended the Certificate of Estimated Resources
Increase the Copeland/Chamber Grant by $1592.20
* Approved the then and now purchase orders as required by law.
* Approved a $1500 donation from the Shelby Co. Youth Soccer Club for use by the high school soccer program.
* Adopted a resolution to authorize STRS and SERS pick-up to meet IRS regulations.
* Hired the following personnel:
Kris Vordermark Varsity baseball coach
Ryan Gutman Varsity track coach
Beth Armstrong Varsity track coach
James Johnson Varsity track coach
Tracy Cooper JH Track Coach
Julia Monnin, Nicole Sproat, Beverly Oswalt, and
Julie Stewart Substitute teachers
Ken Lemmon Wapak PM route driver
* Approved the following spring/fall trips:
5th grade trip to COSI - Feb. 26 - 27
6th grade trip to Henry Ford/Greenfield Village - May 14-15
8th grade trip to Washington D.C. - Oct. 13 - 18
FCCLA State Convention - April 16 - 17
FFA State Convention - May 14 - 15
* Approval of book fees for the 2009-10 book fees as presented with no increases.
* Approved a resolution to place a 2-mill (replacement levy) on the May 5, 2009 ballot. This levy will generate $78,617.
* Moved the March Board meeting to March 16, 2009, at 7:30 P.M.
* Entered executive session
Heard Updates on the following:
* Permanent improvement levy campaign information
* Learned that the Board must adopt a plan by Dec. 09 for a proposal for flexibility in earning high school credits.
* Learned that Advanced Agri-Solutions donated $5000 for the Scholarship Fund.
* Heard a discussion about the STEM Grant for about $14,000 (county consortium).
* Learned we received a $3000 ODE arts grant for a residency. Jane Angelhart will be doing the residency and will be here for Evening With the Arts.
* Learned we received a Picturing America Award - we will receive 40 American Art reproductions.
* Learned that the backboard supports in the gym are in need of reinforcement. We are in the process of doing this. Brown Industrial is making brace supports.
* The art department is one of 16 in the state selected to participate in Arts Advocacy Day. 7 students will be participating.
Botkins Local School