The Botkins Board of Education met in regular session on December 14, 2016. The Board took the following actions:
o A Lego League presentation was presented by RoBotkins and Mr. Rob Berryman.
o Held a public hearing for the 2017-18 school year calendar.
o Approved the minutes of the November 19, 2016, Board of Education regular meeting.
o Approved the Treasurer’s report by fund, the Investment report, and cash balance report as presented.
o Under Unfinished Business: Moves to accept the proposal from Botkins Education Foundation to proceed with movement of scholarships to the foundation with review of each scholarships parameter and transferability.
o Moved to set the reorganizational meeting and the regular Board meeting for Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 6:30 PM and 7:00 PM respectively.
o Approved the Washington, D.C. trip for the Class of 2022 for October 17, 2017 to October 22, 2017.
o Hired Hailey Billing as the JH Girls and Boys Track Coach.
o Hired the following substitute teacher for the 2016-17 school year at a rate of $90 per day:
· Jamie Baumer, Adam Goes, Kaylee Hartrum, Tina Edwards, and Jennifer Fox.
o Hired Jared Goubeaux as seasonal winter break help.
o Hired the following for ticket takers for winter sports:
· Susan Covelli, Ken Lemmon, Jody Trego, Josh Miller and Paul Buehler.
o Moved to accept the donation of $150.00 received from Bonnie and Wayne Greve for the Jeff Roberts Scholarship fund and several anonymous donations in the amount of $975.00 received for the Power of the Pen.
o Moved to approve and aid the Mary Ellen Geyer Foundation – STEM Scholarships for Women.
o Moved to approve Maria Westgerdes’ request for 1-2 weeks of unpaid maternity leave.
o Moved to accept the bid of $6587.75 for radio repeater, antenna and labor from P & R Communication Services.
o An Executive session was added to discuss personnel.
o Heard reports from the Elementary and High School Principals.
o Discussed the calendar for school year 2017-2018.
o Discussed the book fees for school year 2017-2018.
o Discussed the tuition reimbursements of staff members.
o Heard the following Chamber of Commerce grants were received:
· Lisa Kindelin - $345.00 – Because of Winn Dixie (class set of books)
· Maria Westgerdes - $500.00 – Technology in the First Grade Classroom (2 Ipads)
· Ashleigh Ratermann - $300.00 – Bizmovie (real life business)
· Michele Meyer - $619.98 – Literacy Learning Solutions (Various activities)
· Sybil Koenig and Heather Thaman - $540.00 – Differentiating for Different Learners
o Discussed Academia