The Botkins Board of Education met in regular session on March 9, 2011.
Recognition and hearing of the public:
Mr. Trego, representing the BFT, spoke to the Board expressing his hope that the lines of communication would remain open between the Board and the Union.
Art Zimpfer expressed his thanks to the Board for their support and also to Koenig equipment for the use of the skid loader for snow removal.
The Board took the following actions:
* Approved the minutes of the February 2, 2011, Board of Education regular meeting.
* Approved the financial report
* Approved the investment report
* Revised certificate and appropriations - increase for transfer for Louise Sheets funds.
* Heard committee reports:
Buildings and Maintenance - heard a report about areas that the roof was leaking - causing some problems with the classrooms.
Negotiations - BFT has asked to open negotiations.
Finance - learned employees can contribute to a Roth (403B) fund.
Foundation - the Louise Sheets fund has been transferred to the Community Foundation -- Foundation has paid legal expenses via reimbursement to the board.
Technology - submitted the technology plan for state approval.
* Approved the nonrenewal of all supplemental contracts.
* Approved resolutions of commendation:
400 free relay district swim team
Logan Bauer - state berth - earned 2nd in state in diving
FFA Judging Teams -
1st at Wilmington
2nd at Highland Co. Invitational
7th grade Power of the Pen - placed 4th
Blake Maurer finished 4th as individual in Power of the Pen
* Hired: Jerome Aselage to do work for spring sports @ $8.76 per hour
Scott Nanik - sub bus driver
Phillip Groves - JV baseball coach per salary schedule
Alisha Grieves - JH track coach per salary schedule
* Accepted a $50 donation for the athletic fund from Julie Remski to offset costs for state diving tournament.
* Accepted a check for $1216.50 from Brown Industrial in lieu of CRA tax.
* Approved a resolution accepting the amounts and rates as determined by the budget commission and authorizing the necessary tax levies.
* Accepted the resignation of Erica Davidson as 4th grade teacher effective June 1, 2011.
* Entered executive session to discuss personnel contracts.
* Agreed to grant Art Zimpfer a 5% increase retroactive to December 20, 2010.
* We are eligible for an OSFC building project. Local share would be 25%. State share would be 75%. We will be gathering more information concerning our options for the program.
* The Louise Sheets Trust will be taken care of by the Botkins Education Foundation which is administered by the Shelby Co. Community Foundation.
* Race to the Tops funds for staff development is $30,000. Staff members will participate in these options this summer.
* Evening With the Arts is on April 8. Artist workshop from April 4-8 with Christopher Leeper.
* Notice of Public Meeting -- In accordance with Ohio Revised Code Section 3307.353, notice is hereby given that Superintendent Connie Schneider is considering resigning for purposes of retirement effective May 31, 2011, and the Board of Education is considering reemploying Mrs. Schneider as Superintendent, effective June 1, 2011. The Botkins Local School District Board of Education will hold a public meeting with respect to Mrs. Schneider's proposed reemployment on April 13, 2011, at 6:45 PM in the high school media center.
Connie Schneider, Superintendent
Botkins Local School