The Botkins Board of Education met in regular session on May 13, 2009.
The Board elected Anita Uetrecht as Vice President for the remainder of calendar year 2009.
The Board recognized and issued the oath of office to new board member Mark Goubeaux.
Hearing of the Public: Approximately 50 people attended the Board of Education meeting - 3 participated in public participation to express their wishes that the Board of Education continue to pursue the termination of James Smith.
The Board took the following actions:
* Reviewed and approved the minutes of the special Board meeting on April 29, 2009, and the April 8, 2009 regular Board meeting.
* Reviewed and approved the treasurer's report by fund, investment report.
* Revised estimated resources as presented.
* Approved the revised 5-year forecast.
* Transferred $15,000 from the general fund to the Severance fund.
* Approved a resolution to adopt a 457 plan and a 4036 retirement plan for the treasurer and superintendent.
* Entered a contract with Carol Riggle CPA for FY09 GAAP Accounting and assistance with the FY2009 Modified Cash Basis Reports.
Heard Committee Reports:
* Buildings and Maintenance - Health Inspection was completed - only minor findings. Will have written report in 30 days.
* Boosters - Preparing for Carousel
* Passed Resolutions of Commendation for the following students:
^ Morgan Walker - National FCCLA job interview
^ General Livestock Judging Team 5th in State (Kurt Egbert 6th in state)
^ High School Choir - Excellent rating at State
^ SSA received a superior rating at State
^ Karrie Platfoot - Congressional Art Award
^ Michaela Dietz - State Power of the Pen
* Approved the following donations:
^ $900 from faculty and staff in memory of Jacob Freisthler
^ $1105 in memory of Julius Greve
$500 scholarships to be awarded 2009-10
$605 for Technology
^ $810 in memory of Jacob Freisthler for the science department
^ $1000 from Tom & Shirley Counts for the Ed Counts Memorial Scholarship
* Approved the use of the school grounds for Carousel on June 12, 13, 14
* Reviewed and made changes to Board policies per Revised Code.
* Established the Bubba's Pizza/Jacob Freisthler Memorial Scholarship.
* Approved the Classified Handbook for the 09-10 school year.
* Hired the following summer help at minimun wage:
John Haehn/Andrew Hruska
Erin Schnippel, Brooke McGowan, Graham Counts, Jon Meuller, Justin Schwartz, Jordan Steinke
Tiffany Newman - Summer P.E. at $18.50 per hour
Tina Cartwright to paint
* Entered Executive Session to consider the employment, dismissal, discipline and/or investigation of charges against a public employee.
* Motion to leave Executive Session.
Heard the following Updates:
* We received 2 Copeland Grants --
Amy Landis - Virtual Sled Dog Race
Lisa Kindelin - RoBotkins Robotics
* Summer school will be mid June-July
* We received an excellent food service review. The Board commended Mary Lou Pitts and her staff.
* Annual Health Inspection was May 8. Written report in 30 days.
Connie Schneider, Supt.
Botkins Local School