The Botkins Board of Education met in regular session on May 12, 2010.
Hearing of the Public-
Audrey Gutman spoke on behalf of the Community Club -- request was made for the use of the lobby for a ping-pong tournament.
The Community Club would like to gauge community support for parking on Cole Field.
Nancy Solosie - Presented an award of excellence for EF exchange program.
Parents/students were in attendance to discuss girls' soccer coaching.
* Heard and approved the treasurer's report and fund balances.
* Reviewed the SERS change to recoup funds so that payments are current. There has been a 6-month lag in paying in SERS. We have opted to pay this over 6 years.
* Reviewed, updated, and approved the 5-year forecast.
* Moved to transfer $45,000 to the severance account.
* Learned the following:
1) Progress is being made at the park with the first level of the track.
2) 18 local scholarships will be awarded.
* Approved the following overnight trips:
FCCLA National Convention July 2-8
Boys' Basketball June 21 and 22
Volleyball July 22-24
* Approved Resolutions of Commendation for--
Kurt Egbert - FFA - 1st in State
General Livestock Team - 4th in State
Kurt Egbert, Jordan Fledderjohann, Dylan Newman, and Logan Russell(7th overall in state)
FCCLA Jr. Parli Pro Team - gold rating at State Convention/National Qualifier -- Casie Bergman, Heather Brown, Colleen Greve,
Alex Hanby, Caitlin Lane, Colleen Maurer, Claire McCullough, Logan Pitts
Mortan Walker - Interior Deisgn - qualified for National FCCLA Competition
* Approved donations - $25 to Scholarship fund in memory of Jenny Degen and $2000 from Shelby Shooters
* Accepted the resignation of Harold Poppe due to retirement effective May 31.
* Hired the following personnel for summer custodial/tech aides--
Custodial - Graham Counts, Justin Schwartz, Erin Schnippel, Brooke McGowan, Josh Schwartz, Morgan Fullenkamp at $7.30 per hour
Tech Aides - John Haehn and Andrew Hruska at $7.30 per hour
* Entered Executive Session to discuss personnel
* Accepted the bid of Buehler Asphalt for the resurfacing of the north parking lot of $21,268
* Heard the following updates:
Erica Scully - Plug Into Books
Jen Holtzapple and Sybil Koenig - Enhancing Math Through Manipulatives
Lisa Kindelin - RO-Botkins - Biomedical Robotics
Amy Landis - Virtual Iditarod and Cross Country Adventure
* Graduation is Sunday, May 30
* We received a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
* Counter complaint with Boomerang Rubber to reduce their tax liability.
* We applied for Round 2 of RTTT
* Am meeting with Grand Lake personnel to set up a partnership._
Connie Schneider, Superintendent
Botkins Local School