The Botkins Board of Education met on Wednesday, May 9th, 2018 for the regular board meeting and took the following actions:
- Recognized the 2018 OSBA Business Honor Roll Award winners: Brown Industrial, The Palazzo, Botkins Electric and Plumbing, The Inn Between
- Held the IDEA hearing. Included discussion of expenditures of the IDEA funds.
- Casey Dietz spoke about signage of Cole Field. Considering a fundraiser of selling banners to businesses to hang on the Cole Field fence.
- Josh Meyer updated on the Athletic Boosters. Spoke about the Wiffle Ball Tournament; Scoreboard for the Varsity baseball field; equipment for the weight room; new building in the works at the Industrial Park.
- Approved the minutes of the April 11, 2018 regular meeting and April 25, 2018 special board meeting.
- Approved the Treasurer's report by fund, the Investment report, and cash balance report as presented.
- Approved the amended 5-year forecast as presented by the Treasurer.
- Approved a $30,000 transfer from the General Fund to the Severance Fund.
- Approved a $10,000 transfer from the General Fund to the Permanent Improvement Fund.
- Approved a $50,000 transfer from the General Fund to the Track Capital Improvement Fund for future track improvements.
- Approved a contract with Carol Riggle for the fiscal year 2018 Modified Cash Basis/OCBOA reports. Cost would be $1,500.
- Hired the following list of personnel for the 2018-19 school year for supplemental contracts at salaries to be determined:
Chris Abke - Adult Volunteer Coordinator
Brad Bergman - Boys Varsity Basketball Assistant Coach
Chad Berning - Freshman Class Advisor
Kendra Berryman - Varsity Girls Soccer Coach
Hailey Billing - High School Cheerleader Advisor
Stacy Braun - Senior Class Advisor
Sara Brown - Veterans Day Coordinator
Andrew Davis - JV Boys Basketball Coach
Andrew Davis - Yearbook Advisor
Jenni Doseck - Varsity Volleyball Assistant Coach
Taylor Doseck - 7th Grade Volleyball Coach
Heath Geyer - Boys 7th Grade Basketball Coach
Rick Geyer - Boys 8th Grade Basketball Coach
Katie Greve - Veterans Day Coordinator
Phil Groves - Sophomore Class Advisor
Phil Groves - Girls Summer Basketball Coordinator
Melissa Grunden - Show Choir Director
Melissa Grunden - JH/HS Choir Solo and Ensemble
Melissa Grunden - Sophomore Class Advisor
Melissa Grunden - Music Unlimited
Ryan Gutman - Coed JH & Varsity Cross Country Coach
Ryan Gutman - 8th Grade Advisor
Ryan Gutman - National Honor Society - 1/2
Tasha Helmstetter - Girls 7th Grade Basketball Coach
Jena Holtkamp - Freshman Class Advisor
Andrea Jones - Head Swimming Coach
Caitlin Lane - Girls Varsity Assistant Soccer Coach
Jason Liette - 7th Grade Advisor
Jason Liette - National Honor Society - 1/2
Ryan Loy - Girls Varsity Basketball Assistant Coach
Ryan Loy - Student Council Advisor
Ryan Loy - Winter Activities Director
Kevin Lynch - Varsity Boys Soccer Coach
Laura Mack - 8th Grade Advisor
Dennis McPheron - Girls JV Basketball Coach
Jeff McPheron - Fall Activities Director
Brett Meyer - Golf Coach
Brett Meyer - JV Golf Coach
Paula Owen - Musical Director
Paula Owen - JH/HS Band Solo and Ensemble
Paula Owen - Pep Band
Tom Platfoot - Junior Class Advisor
Tom Platfoot - Junior Class Prom Advisor
Jeremy Pleiman - Publicity Agent
Jeremy Pleiman - 7th Grade Advisor
Lynn Pleiman - Academia Team
Lynn Pleiman - Senior Class Advisor
Lynn Pleiman - FTA Advisor
Keith Puschel - Senior Commencement
Keith Puschel - Musical Assistant - Lighting/Technology
Ashleigh Ratermann - Recycling Coordinator
Christine Schmerge - Girls Freshman Basketball Coach
Fred Schmerge - Coed JH & Varsity Cross Country Assistant Coach
Olivia Schneider - Musical Assistant Director
Vicki Steinke - Concession Stand Coordinator
Bryan Trego - Varsity Volleyball Coach
Bryan Trego - Athletics Facilities Manager
Bryan Trego - Junior Class Advisor
Bryan Trego - Junior Class Prom Advisor
Bryan Trego - Summer Volleyball Coordinator
Samantha Vehorn - 8th Grade Volleyball Coach
Ethan Zimpfer - Boys Varsity Soccer Assistant Coach
- Hired the following administrative staff members for the contracts presented:
Eligible for 3-year contract: Mick Jones and Brad Bergman
Eligible for 1-year contract: Annette Hensley
- Hired the following certified staff members for the contracts as presented:
Eligible for 3-year contract: Jodi Alig, Rob Berryman, Tina Paul, Paula Owen, Bryan Trego, and Kristin Ruppert
Eligible for 1-year contract: Andrew Davis, Jena Holtkamp, Kirsten Martinez, and Renee Wildermuth
- Hired the following classified staff members for the contracts as presented:
Eligible for a 2-year contract: Mike Hoy (Bus) and Jane Fullenkamp (Nurse)
Eligible for a Continuing contract: Connie Greve (Custodial/Cafeteria), Billie Homan (Social Worker/Part-time Aide), Drew Kreitzer (Custodial),
Chad Steinke (Bus), Brenda Tennant (Secretary)
- Accepted the following resignations:
Tina Cartwright and Cindy Cox as cafeteria workers effective as of May 24, 2018 and Kayla Sherman as an Aide as of the end of summer school.
- Hired the following personnel:
Susan Nichols - Sub for the cafeteria for the 2017-18 school year and Cafeteria worker for the 2018-19 school year.
Doris Frilling - Sub for the cafeteria for the 2017-18 school year and Cafeteria worker for the 2018-19 school year.
Jayme McCullough - Cafeteria worker for the 2018-19 school year
Jenny Luebke - Summer School Tutor
Phil Groves - 2018 Summer Girls Basketball Coordinator
Brad Bergman - 2017-18 Girls Youth League Basketball Coordinator
- Hired the following students as seasonal summer custodians/tech aides/office help: Tristen Burns, Katelyn McElroy and Jasmine Brown
- Moved that Botkins Local School will not provide students in grades 7 & 8 with CTE for the 2018-19 school year and will apply for a CTE waiver.
- Approved the following overnight trips:
Volleyball: Camp at Maumee Bay July 19th - 21st, 2018
Girls Basketball: Camp at University of Findlay June 13th and 14th, 2018
Girls Varsity Basketball: Camp at Wilmington College June 22nd and 23rd, 2018
Boys Basketball: Camp at University of Findlay June 22nd and 23rd, 2018
FCCLA: Nationals in Atlanta, GA June 27th - July 3rd, 2018
- Adopted the following Resolution of Commendations as presented:
SSA Choir: Earned a Superior rating at Districts qualifying them for State where they also received a Superior rating.
General Livestock Judging Team: Placed 5th out of 169 teams qualifying them for Nationals in the fall.
Dairy Judging Team: Placed 3rd out of 57 teams qualifying them for Nationals in the fall.
FCCLA: Emma Ewry and Sarah VanBrocklin earned a 1st place in their presentation in Focus on Children and qualifying them for Nationals in June.
- Approved the donation in the amount of $1,000 from First National Bank and in the amount of $376 from Josh Meyer to be used for scholarships.
- Entered executive session for preparing for, conducting or reviewing negotiations or bargaining sessions with public employees concerning their compensation or other terms and conditions of their employment.
- Left executive session.
- Approved the Botkins Federation of Teachers agreement for salaries and benefits. Also approved salary rate increases and benefits changes for administration and classified staff as presented.